Don’t be intimidated by infusions. While they take a little time, they are very easy to do and offer up some tastes that you just can’t buy. I spent many months last year experimenting with infusions, several of which I’ll share with you here. Today, I’ll explain how to make my absolute favorite, the Hot Tamales Infusion. That’s right, Hot Tamales, as in the candy. Yes, you can infuse candy, although to some extent, you’re just dissolving it.
I have a few warnings up front:
- Make a lot of this stuff. Once people try it, they’ll suck it down. I’ve gone through 1.75L with a handful of people in a few hours.
- The end result of this infusion is pure alcohol and some sugar. It won’t taste like it, but I suggest you warn your guests. They’re going to get trashed if they don’t keep that in mind.
- Hot Tamales candies without their flavorful skin and their chewy parts partially dissolved by the alcohol are truly gross. Discard them with whatever other nuclear waste you have.
- 1.75L of Vodka. I’ve tried it with high end vodka and with really cheap stuff. I’m not sure why, but the middle-grade vodkas work best. I use Stolichnaya for all my infusions.
- 2, 5oz boxes of cinnamon Hot Tamales
Things start to happen pretty fast. The vodka starts to take on the unnatural color of the Hot Tamales. If you start salivating at this point, that is normal and to be expected.